Monday, April 27, 2009

Barriers to Entry: What the fuck did he just say? & That Fucking Song part II: A rambling blog title if you've ever seen one

Barriers to entry is a new series in which I explore and attempt to discredit some of the reasons people avoid rap music. Today's installment dovetails nicely with my "That Fucking Song" post a couple days ago. Sorry for the unwieldy title, but I think it was worth it to try the "really long title' joke once.

Some people say to me, when I ask them why they don't like rap music

"HUUUURGH I'M INCREDIBLY STUPID DURF FURFLE SCUMPF"

Just kidding folks, they only say that very rarely. The kinds of things they do say are

"I just don't get it"
or
"The lyrics are so bad"

which are both obvious codes for

"I can't understand black people when they talk and am afraid to admit this"

Don't worry lil rap neophyte, I'm here to explain why it's ok to not completely catch the meaning of every word in your favorite club banger.

1) You are not supposed to understand everything. Really, they know that they're not speaking articulately, they could if they wanted to. The way that people rap is more an expression of their chosen style and flow than it is about their actual ability to form coherent sentences. It's an artistic decision, if you will.

2) A lack of understanding is desirable. Music sometimes loses it's allure when you know exactly what every line is. This is why eminem, for example, blows. You listen to the album once, you hear exactly what he's saying, every word of it, you laugh at two or three of the jokes, and then you never listen again. Why? Because the mystery is completely gone. Most people don't rap along to their favorite songs the same way they sing (I do this, it's embarrassing to everyone involved), so there has to be some kind of incentive to listen to something a few times. When every time you listen to a song you pick up a little more of what it's about, or understand some previously unknown slang, or catch a funny punchline that you previously missed, you get that joy of discovery and you want to listen again.

3) It's not that important. People over-emphasize the position of lyrics in music in general, but especially in rap. I could listen to Timbaland's Shock Value all day, not because I enjoy hearing Timbaland oafishly bumble the vocals, but because the beats are sick. As judgmental as it may sound, a lot of rap music is not made for depth listening, it's made for the club, the car, the parking lot; someplace where you just need something that sounds good in the background.

4) Sometimes it really just makes no sense at all. Take a line from Turn my Swag on, in this song soulja boy says this:

"Walk into the dealership
add another wheel to my collection of pink ships"

You can kind of figure out what he's saying; he's buying another car. But I unequivocally assure you that Pink Ship is not slang anywhere for car. He is just making it up because he needs something rhyme with dealership and he's lyrically talentless. The thing is, by it's very nature, rap needs to rhyme. In order to get the message across you have to force some pretty poor word choices. This is also the reason for some of the development of slang and the proliferation of nicknames. Do you think it's a coincidence that 'Crunk' rhymes with 'drunk'?

Now that we've got that all cleared up, I have a confession to make. I stopped writing that TFS article not because I was fed up with Jim Jones (although this was a major contributing factor), it was because I was transcribing the lyrics and I couldn't understand the fucking noises coming out of him. After serious reflection I've realized this is nothing to be ashamed of and have reasoned that Jim Jones is just using nonsense syllables to desperately fill his verse. Or maybe he's just referencing something I am not remembering or aware of. It happens even to the best of us (me, I'm the best of us), sometimes you just don't get something.

So, here, following this sentance, is the rest of "THAT FUCKING SONG"

Verse 3 - Jim Jones

I didn't note this before, but here the chorus changes dreadfully to more Jim Jones

I woke up kinda bad/
From the champagne/
Said prayer, thank god for wakin up/
Yeahhh, we gettin' money.

I hopped in my Ferarri/
Dropped the top/
I hit the club and told my nigger turn it up/
Yeahhh, we gettin' money.

I'm thirsty/
I'm hungry/
I need a big, big plate of that money/
We party/
Ferrari/
we drop the top and we laugh hardy hardy/

I am seriously considering stopping this again, but I press on for you! For the humble would-be rap listener who quivers in the darkness with fear. Fear not little one, I will be brave for you. I will openly admit I do not know what the fuck he's saying here.

I'm a dreamer/
Shoulda seen us/
flooded to water so much I need FEMA/
It goes Jim Jones tell em'/
Kal! Go! That's my DJ/

(this is it, the line I don't understand. Please let me know if you have an idea of what these here syllables mean)


Stepped up in the spot/
Self had it rockin' up for sheezey.
(chorus)

Verse 4 - Maino

I get bulletproof love/
All the thugs love me/
hands down i'm the realist nigga in the country/

Alright, who the fuck is this guy, I've never heard of him and he's marginal at best. I wish people would stop claiming to be the best. (Unless they're Jay-Z)

your arms to short you lames could never touch me/
you really think I'm gay?/
oh yeah? Go head and fuck me./

Ahahaha, did someone write a blog about Maino and make him upset? But seriously this reads like a craigslist M4M personal ad. He is literally inviting you to come and fuck him. No Homo tho.

I'm rollin'/
This is my life, it's not a song/

This is another cliche I could do without frankly.

I really pack guns as long as my right arm/
I'm a problem/

Oh I get it, he's Everyrapper, a rapper made up of nothing but cliche's.

can't solve em'/
gotta add em'/
can't subtract em'/

And with math metaphors, that's cool, right?

now i'm whilin' and spazin/
the smoke from the fifth/

Now, my conception of what a Fifth is a large bottle of alcohol, 750 ml to be exact. Urban dictionary seems to agree. Now why would smoke be coming out of your fifth? Is it possible that Maino doesn't know rap slang as well as me, a confirmed white person? Naw, it must mean something else too. English is such a wonderfully flexible language.

the shells in the grass/
and they can only see/
my eyes from the mask/

Oh, I get it, it's a FOUR-fifth, a gun. Nice creative use of slang Maino.

all the way to cali/
what's poppin my G/
I really run brooklyn/
nothin poppin but me/
get weed on gates/
and killers in ft. green/
platinum vision/
and lamborghini dreams/
hustle hard baby/
we move like the baddest/
black bandannas/
you see us we throw them flags up.
(chorus)

Ok, that was pretty lame, whatever. Finally the song is drawing to a conclusion. But not before Jadakiss comes and actually murders the track. The track is killed by him and the song has no choice but to end after that verse because it is dead. In respect to his (comparative) greatness, I will give you this part of the song un-commented-upon.

Verse 5 - Jadakiss

Yo, D block is D block/
no it ain't a rock band/
they had to kill two baby gators/
just to make my watchband/
out come the hammers/
yeah, then the shottis come/
devils meet up 4 times/
then the bodies come/
big bank/
little bank/
yeah imma take it all/
i could get the block aired out/
If I make a call/
so go ahead with your bad self/
'kiss keep his swag on/
you ain't gotta ask me, ask Self.
(chorus)

Wow, I did it and I wasn't afraid of disapproval. Now maybe you can too! Let's take this moment of great success to contemplate how Jim Jones is a talentless void.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

the smoke from the fifth (round fired)
shells in the grass, etc.

this isn't rocket science nig

ben and candice said...

hahahahaha reading this reminds me of the time we all watched "camp rock" together. and the time you and rich made ridiculous commentary throughout that keanu reeves movie. nice work. more!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

very funny. i think i remember maino being featured on a lil kim song (on 'the naked truth'), but i might be wrong. you should also do an ethics in rap category where you can disapprove of fuckin' jadakiss for talking about baby gators like that. other than that; nice merging of categories. oh and it's not only the lyrics that keep people from listening to rap music: in germany, a lot of people would be ASHAMED if anyone heard those beats and oversimplified melodies coming out of their speakers. why do you think is that?

Jesse K said...

It's actually a (implied four)-fifth. He's referring to his smoking gun, not his smoking bullet.

But thanks for having the courage to be completely wrong, I'm glad my blog has had such an impact on you.

Unknown said...

It's PINK SLIPS like from a race you take the losers car